If you are far away from civilization on an exciting outdoor adventure, or making sure you’re ready when the unexpected happens, the new Signal multi-tool helps the planning become just a little bit easier with vital survival tools like a ferrocerium fire starter and whistle.
“We spoke with a lot of professionally trained survivalists and if you’re lost, or need to stay overnight outdoors, the main things you want with you are fire, the appropriate tools, and a way to communicate without relying on technology,” described Jason Carpenter, Sr. Product Manager. “If it is part of the tool already, you won’t have to think about bringing it. You’ll already be prepared.”
The Signal was designed originally for the adventure enthusiast who participates in activities like hunting, fishing, geocaching, camping and hiking but has morphed into something that can keep you ready and safe in any stressful unexpected situation.
The Signal also comes complete with traditional Leatherman features like pliers, can opener, saw, awl, and removable pocket clip. In addition, it includes popular features like a hammer, replaceable wire cutters, diamond-coated file, and bit driver.
Coming in a black and yellow color scheme, Signal adds a new look and feel to Leatherman’s full-sized multi-tool line. “It was important to communicate that this was the first Leatherman of its kind. The rugged, nature oriented design was a focus during our research,” said Kenny Lohr, Industrial Designer. “Leatherman strives to be authentic, and we weren’t going to let Signal fall short.”
- Needlenose Pliers
- A cast pinching tool with an angled nose for holding or manipulating materials, ideal for small objects or tight spaces.
- Regular PliersA cast pinching tool for holding or manipulating materials.
- 154CM Replaceable Wire CuttersReplaceable bypassing cutting blades crafted from 154CM, meant for cutting regular and light-gauge wire. 154CM will keep its edge three times as long as traditional stainless steel for less down-time in the field.
- 154CM Replaceable Hard-wire CuttersReplaceable bypassing cutting blades crafted from 154CM, meant for cutting hard wire. 154CM will keep its edge three times as long as traditional stainless steel for less down-time in the field.
- Wire StripperA useful notch for safely stripping multiple types of wire.
- 420HC Combo KnifeA knife made from 420HC stainless steel with a half straight and half serrated edge. This style of blade gives the user a choice of precise cuts using the plain section, or cutting through fiber and rougher material using the serrated area.
- SawA toothed tool made from 420HC stainless steel that is designed to work on a pull motion, which requires less effort and has less propensity for breakage. The open-tooth design keeps the saw from filling up with material, allowing the user to complete a job without pausing to clean the tool.
- HammerThis hammer can be used for pounding a tent stake, striking a nail, or other uses. It features a textured end to reduce contact slippage.
- Awl w/ Thread LoopAn awl is a tool that can be used to create or enlarge holes by puncturing materials such as leather or canvas. They can also be used to start stair steps for hunting stands. The thread loop can be used for sewing materials together when necessary.
- Can OpenerA lever/punch style tool to assist in opening canned goods, perfect for camping or in survival situations. The blade on this tool has been ground in a way that it pushes the cut metal into the rim, keeping sharp edges from cutting the user as the can is handled.
- Bottle OpenerA tool that allows the user to pop the top on a favorite beverage.
- 1/4” Hex Bit DriverThis slot allows for use of conventional 1/4″ hex bits to expand the functionality of the tool.
- Bit DriverThis feature allows the user to insert any Leatherman double-sided bits, thereby expanding the functionality of the multi-tool without taking up space with stand alone screwdrivers. A Bit Adaptor accessory may also be used to make the bit driver hex bit compatible.
- 1/4″ Box WrenchA wrench used over the head of a 1/4″” hexagonal nut or bolt. The application of torque is used to tighten or loosen an object.
- CarabinerThis handy feature allows the user to quickly and securely clip their tool to an item using a spring loaded gate.
- 3/16″ Box WrenchA wrench used over the head of a 3/16″ hexagonal nut or bolt. The application of torque is used to tighten or loosen an object.
- Safety WhistleA whistle meant to be used to attract help if needed.
- Ferrocerium RodA rod made of ferrocerium, a man-made metallic material that gives off hot sparks when scraped against a rough surface, meant for starting fires.
- Diamond-coated Sharpener